Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Film-based books [UBC Post 2]


I love reading about movies and people or things associated with it. By reading about films, I don't mean filmy gossip. OK, that too. But what I actually meant was reading about say making of a film or how the script was developed for some classic or the lives of film stars, and so on and so forth. 

Right now, I am reading an interesting book called 'The Greatest Show on Earth: Writings on Bollywood', edited by Jerry Pinto. This book is actually a compilation of selected writings from various other sources. In what I have read so far, I read about how the overhyped Sholay was poorly received on release but eventually went on to break many records, how Karan Johar-Aditya Chopra identified NRI audience as big business and created a hero in Shahrukh Khan with whom they identified while the Indian audience aspired to be, Raj Kaoor's real life romance with Nargis, Padmini and Vyajanthimala (did you know there was a thing between Raj Kapoor and Lata Mangeshkar too), a very interesting interview of the eccentric Kishore Kumar by Pritish Nandy, and many such interesting pieces.

The other film-based books I have are:

And the books I am eyeing for a while are:

Here is a list of the Best books on Bollywood, on GoodReads.

So, do you have a book based on films to recommend?



10 comments:

  1. vow!! that is some information I didn't have Reema :D :D love your post.. following you now :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by and following me :)
      I loooove books and this month whenever I am short of topics, be rest assured, I would fall back on books to fill the gap. I have a book blog too by the way http://recommendbooks.blogspot.in

      Delete
  2. I have only read Dev Anand's autobiography in this genre but knowing me I am sure I will love these books!! I am a sucker for anything from Bollywood u see :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:36 PM

    I never read any book on films...Thinking to start one from your list :-) I like to read Delhi times which has all the bollywood information so guess will like the book too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much into Hindi movies but I'm sure your post is very resourceful for people who are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never read any books on movies so far. At the moment, mystery and thriller is what I enjoy the most. To be honest, I had no idea there were so many books in this genre! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not read books based on films and film stars but did not know that so many books are indeed read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:25 PM

    I didn't know Raj Kapoor had a thing with Lata Mangeshkar!! but, why am I not surprised?! :P
    I haven't read any books on movies either. Let me see if I can pick this one up at the library

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:10 AM

    The only bollywood movie we have at home is Dev Anand's autobiography. We got it since dad is his fan and dad just loved the book. You can try that if you like Dev Anand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... Raj Kapoor and Lata M is news! Haven't read any book on Bollywwod... will surely look out for this one!

    ReplyDelete