Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Book can happen to you!

I went to Landmark last Sunday because I had collected sufficient points to exchange for a book, and well, I just needed a reason to go there. So, I persuaded my husband and my friends to drop by Landmark, so that I could pick a book. I prefer “buying” books from online shops but here I wasn’t spending anything, right! So no guilt feelings!



I spent quite some time browsing through books and whenever I actually go buying books, I never can remember the books on my wish list. Most of the times, these books are so rare that even if I am able to remember a name or two, I am never able to find it on the shelf!


Anyways, I finalised on “We are Iran” by Nasrin Alavi and “Deaf Heaven” by Pinki Virani. The first one sounded interesting as it was a meticulous compilation of lives in contemporary Iran through several blogs, while I picked up the other one because I had recently read two of Pinki Virani’s books and I had been impressed by both. So, did not even think twice before picking it up.


Anyways, I went to the billing counter, proudly gave my Citibank card and asked to bill while redeeming my 293 points also. The lady left for a while to check the points, came back and said it is not honouring the points, not even 150 points. So, what to do, I became a fool coming all the way to redeem points and shelling out money. So, I quickly decided, I will take only 1 book and showed that I want “Deaf Heaven”.


I came back home and when I pulled the book outside, what did I see? The book tat came back was “We are Iran”. I was totally mad at that lady – first she told me the points could not be redeemed, and then she billed the wrong book. But after a while, I looked at the other side of this whole event and realised how a book can happen to you. I did not choose this book but I still got it. I would buy “Deaf Heaven” anyways, but I may not have got back to buying “We are Iran” again. That makes me feel nice and positive.

5 comments:

  1. Lol!!! So all said nd done u end up having both the books :D

    As they say The book chose you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some how I found Pune's Landmark is not up to the mark (as far as service is considered)
    And how was the book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sapna2:20 PM

    I've just rediscovered your blog....and so glad that I have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Smita - you bet!
    @ Haddock - Yet to read :-) Landmark is OK. They have such good collection (better than any other bookshop) that I don't bother about anything else. I just love spending time there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Sapna: Welcome back...I'm truly thrilled
    1

    ReplyDelete