Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Chick-lit


I have already proclaimed sufficiently and strongly that I just love buying books and yeah, reading them occasionally. But till now I had not ordered anything online. I would visit bookshops, look through books, read the back covers and mostly I felt that I just needed to own it. So that was my usual practice. But now, I have discovered the world of online book shopping. What I do is first find out the latest or famous books in the genre which I want to read or in case I have discovered a writer, then find out about all the books he / she has written; then I check about prices offered by various sites. I would say www.firstandsecond.com is good in that respect because they do not charge delivery charges, so you are sure of how much you are paying for that book. I have just bought two books from there—Love Story by Erich Segal (for Rs 125) and Entry from backside only by Binoo John (for Rs 95). Although one generally gets better deals off the shelf but the sites are really helpful when you are looking for a particular book, not available in your regular bookstore. Also, the online Bookstores have various versions of the same book in different prices so you can take your pick.

But, anyways, what I really wanted to talk about was getting introduced to an altogether new genre called “Chic-lit”. Actually, I have always read and liked chick-lit novels but never knew that this genre had a name. The Encyclopedia on thefreedictionary.com defines "Chick lit" as “a term used to denote genre fiction written for and marketed to young women, especially single, working women in their twenties and thirties. “ It was when I read “Shopaholic & Sister” and tried “Googling” for other books by Sophie Kinsella that I bumped onto this word. There are several sites devoted to chic-lit or literature for women. The last chick-lit I read and absolutely loved was I don’t know how she does it by Allison Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment