Saturday, September 29, 2007

Books I want to Read

I am grateful that finally I am catching up on my reading. I recently finished “For Matrimonial Purposes” by Kavita Daswani. It was the story of a girl who wants to get married. She is a typical girl, in many a sense, but she is not your common type, in many ways as well. She wants to get married to a decent Indian guy chosen by her parents, alright; but she wants to really like him (although may not really love him). It is important for her to get married to the right guy—right for her. In this pursuit, she looks at every Indian, marriageable guy, as her prospective groom and when it does not turn out to be the way she thought, she is left heart broken. Yes, with every guy! Well, if you look around isn’t this the case with modern, educated Indian guy or girl. It is not always that you fell in love with somebody and proceed towards marriage. Many times we do not come across any such person in our entire 25 to 30 years of lives! Quite possible!

The story is not hilarious; it is real. It is a story which you see everywhere. So, I kind of liked it. Thank God, the girl found a guy in the end and they lived happily ever after, whatever!

Right now, I am reading “The Reluctant Fundamentalist” by Mohsin Hamid. This book is very different in its narration. The narrator is talking to an American tourist and doing that, he is taking the reader through his experiences. The story is set against the 9/11 attacks and how it changed the lives of Muslims around the world, more so of those in America. I have read more than half of the novel, and I really want to read the author’s first book also called “Moth Smoke”. It is supposedly an acclaimed book and has won several Awards. I get a little scared to read an Award winning book. Most of the times, I do not understand it. Take the example of “Life of Pi”. I tried really hard but I could not finish it.

Well, anyways, I have tried to put together a list of books which I would like to read in near future:

Moth Smoke by Mohsin Hamid
Shopaholic & Baby by Sophie Kinsella
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (His “Kite Runner” was fabulous)
Protect and Defend by Vince Flynn (Haven’t read a good Thriller since ages)
Straight from the Gut by Jack Welch
Mahatma vs. Gandhi by Dinkar Joshi (which is supposed to be the basis for the movie “Gandhi, My father)
Chocolat by Joanne Harris
The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris
A Crowded Marriage by Catherine Alliott
Bride at Ten, Mother at Fifteen by Sethu Ramaswamy
Can you Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella

No comments:

Post a Comment